Iglesia de San Miguel Valsequillo

First of all a chapel was erected, which measured 19 yardsticks in length and 9 in width, the same between the years 1670 and 1672, dedicated to Saint Michael the Archangel, this thanks to the Canonical Prior of the Cathedral of Las Palmas, Don Mateo Tello y Casares, who donated 2000 ducats for its construction. A cemetery existed at the time when it was built, which is currently buried beneath the San Miguel Square.

The chapel was part of the San Juan de Telde Parish until the year 1800, being instituted into the San Miguel Arcángel Parish in the same year by Bishop Verdugo. The current building was built by the people of Valsequillo between the years 1903 and 1923, the same without any type of blueprints, reason being that since the year 1921 “the church was to be found in a state of ruin and in need of restoration, thus taking a series of provisional measures to celebrate the liturgy under the cross or in the chapel, always as long as it was covered by a door or wrought-iron gate”, with its people imploring the construction of a new temple.
The building we can now contemplate is a temple of eclectic style, combination of different artistic tendencies, in particular classicist and neo-gothic, and structured in its interior into three bays separated by semi-circular arches raised over composite pillars decorated with attached pilasters. Altogether it is a vaulted building, with gun walls in its central part and pointed vaults in its lateral bays.

The church is home to several important works of art, such as “San Miguel El Chico”, first image that is included in Valsequillo’s historical heritage: a carved image in polychrome wood, with a height of 20 centimeters and dating from the second half of the 17th century. The figure represents an archangel with the appearance of a triumphant warrior, subjecting the apocalyptic dragon, symbol of evil, under his feet.

A green glazed, clay brick baptismal font is also to be highlighted, which is covered in glazed ceramic, of Seville origin, dating from the end of the 15th century, as well as a sculpture of the Virgin of Rosario dating from the 16th century, over which garments based on bound fabrics were added, thus the sculpture corresponds to the Flemish models dating from the 16th century. A series of sculptures by Luján Pérez are to be highlighted, amongst which the sculpture of Saint Michael the Archangel stands out, which was carved in 1804. It is said that Luján’s inspiration for the sculpture came from the primitive image of the chapel and, indeed, a certain similitude can be appreciated, as is the case with the posture of the diabolic animal or the legs of the Angel, both of which lean on the animal’s back.

Another relevant sculpture is the Christ, “El Crucificado”, carved in 1801 by Luján Pérez as of a personal order made by Bishop Verdugo.

Apart from the sculptures the Parish Church also counts with a series of paintings of notable value, amongst which the one representing Saint Jerome stands out, the same already inventoried in the year 1889. 360º View